Congratulations! You just passed your Comps! What are you going to do now??

Read a book.

More specifically, a book that has nothing to do with archaeology. Or history. Or any combination of the two. In fact, I’m hoping that this book will have no basis in reality. In other words, it will be a book of fiction.

For the past year, I have been working on preparing for my comprehensive exams. The process includes the construction of two 75 source bibliographies, which my committee then writes exams for, which I take, and then about which I am subjected to two hours of questioning by said committee. The exam part takes a couple weeks to do. The bibliographies, however, can take quite a while, since you’re responsible for choosing the articles, reading them, organizing them, and so on. Needless to say, it was a lot of reading.

Whenever I would pick up a book that wasn’t related, a number of things happened. First, I was pretty tired of reading. In some cases, I’d spent a better part of the day reading something. Investing in a book for fun didn’t seem, well, fun. It felt like work. So, instead reading a book before bed, I’d just roll over and go to sleep.

If I hadn’t spent my day reading (which was, sadly, more often than not), picking up a book unrelated to my bibs didn’t seem right…if I could spend time leisure reading, shouldn’t I have at least spent some time during the day reading for school? So, reading for fun did not happen often. Certainly not often enough for me to complete many books.

So, that is what I’m going to be doing. Reading. Books. And since I’ve missed the entire 2009 reading season, what were some of your favorites? Any suggestions? Use the comment field below to let me know!!

photo from guldfisken at flickr.

17 Comments

1. Anonymous
    December 31, 1969 Reply
  2. Nicole Raslich

make it about wizards and dragons and unicorns and you should be good

3. Nicole Raslich

make it about wizards and dragons and unicorns and you should be good

4. brockter
    December 18, 2009

A new blog post about what I’m going to do now that I finally passed comps: http://bit.ly/8HCWOW reader participation encouraged
    This comment was originally posted on Twitter

5. Ryan Knott
    December 18, 2009

This is not a 2009 book, but The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon is an incredible story. Won the Pultizer for fiction.

6. Ryan Knott

7. Brent Fortenberry

City of Silver by Annamaria Alfieri OR Green Metropolis by David Owen

8. Brent Fortenberry

City of Silver by Annamaria Alfieri OR Green Metropolis by David Owen

9. megan

congratulations!

How about Dune or Ender’s Game? Both good sci-fi. And Ender’s Game can be followed up with Speaker for the Dead, which involves some old-school anthropologists who are trying to learn about an alien culture. So it’s interesting, but not really about anthropology.

• Terry
      December 18, 2009

Ender’s game has to be one of my, what, top 1 books of all time! I haven’t read it in a long time, so I might crack it open again…I’m still waiting for it to turn into a movie. Personally, I felt like each sequel got worse and worse…

10. megan

congratulations!

• Terry

11. brockter

got some great new book suggestions…do you have one? http://bit.ly/8HCWOW
    This comment was originally posted on Twitter

12. Adrianne Daggett
    December 19, 2009

If you want it to have absolutely no basis in reality, read Twilight 😉 Just try not to vomit.

13. Adrianne Daggett